Monday, January 16, 2012

Strawberry Jam



Chris and I have been talking about some of the memories we have as we consider the various sign posts on our site. One of the best that recently came up was "Strawberry Jam.!"  Well, you might say, what has that got to do with sign posts? Here's the story.  Rod's mom has been sending us a shipment of Christmas candy and strawberry jam since we were first married.  Now that doesn't seem to big of a deal until you get the rest of the information. The candy is all home made and is of course very delicious and includes fudge, bon-bons, mint chocolate pieces, rocky road (chocolate and marshmallows rolled) and other wonderful treats. Then, within the same box, yes it's a good sized box, is a 3lb coffee can filled to the brim with homemade strawberry jam. As you may be able to see from the picture, the can is completely covered in duct tape!! And you wouldn't believe how hard it is to get that stuff off enough to get the can open. Mom always says, I hope the lid doesn't come off. We always say, no problem mom, there is not a chance.  Mom has faithfully sent the can of strawberry jam to every one of the places on the sign posts. Great memories of receiving each one and even greater memories of eating it! We may be a bit partial in our assessment of the jam, but it has to be the best strawberry jam in the country. Since the four kids have been grown and in their own homes, we actually split it up into pint containers so each family gets some to enjoy. Yes, it is hard for me to do that but .....I guess it really is fun to share the jam and the great memories as well.  We hope this makes you think of some great memories you have from the special kinds of things your parents did for you.

I just figured out how to follow Rod's post.  I am the one riding behind on the bicycle after all. Virginia does have wonderful strawberries, and we have been going to the fields to pick for twenty years now.  But there is a difference in taste.  Not wanting to start some sort of East-West strawberry war, I will use the words of Emerson Eggerichs "It's not wrong just different." 

2 comments:

  1. Memories of what my parents did for me...well, for one, I did learn how to make strawberry jam:-) We'd make enough to feed our whole family (of 13), for a whole year. So basically, we washed, hulled and crushed berries for about 2 days straight. Not to mention the picking! At the time, we'd groan at the "family work days" but I treasure the memories now! One of the things I love most about my fam, is how well the stories and family history are preserved (Mennonites are good at that I guess). It is a real treasure to look back and see where we've come from, in quite a bit of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and the duct tape? Hilarious!! I never would have thought of that method for transportation:-)

    ReplyDelete